I, the NGO’s recruiter of volunteers
BEFORE RECRUITING VOLUNTEERS
I GATHER INFORMATION ABOUT ORGANIZING VOLUNTEER ACTIVITIES
- I familiarize myself with information on managing volunteers and legislation.
- I take part in volunteer coordination training.
I DEFINE MY NEEDS
- I think about what the goal of my activity is and how to attain it.
- I keep in mind that not all types of work can be based on volunteer effort.
- I think through the volunteers’ assignments, duration and expenses of activities.
I PLAN THE RECRUITMENT, RETENTION AND RECOGNITION OF VOLUNTEERS
- I think about how to find a good match between activities and volunteers.
- I consider the risks related to engaging volunteers and means of preventing them.
- If necessary, I check the background of the volunteers, notifying the volunteers first that I am conducting a check.
- I prepare descriptions of volunteer activity, contracts and other materials.
- I think about my options for recognizing volunteers.
DURING THE VOLUNTEER ACTIVITY
I REACH AGREEMENT WITH THE VOLUNTEERS ABOUT THE CONTENT, DURATION, OUTCOME OF THEIR ACTIVITY, COMPENSATION OF EXPNESES AND CESSATION OF ACTIVTY
- I proceed from my NGO’s mission and needs and also simultaneously listen to volunteers’ wishes and suggestions.
- I agree clearly on volunteers’ area of responsibility and assignments. To reduce misunderstandings, I do this in writing.
- I share information about compensation of expenses related to volunteering.
I ENSURE THE BEST POSSIBLE CONDITIONS FOR VOLUNTEERING
- I make sure that the activities are safe and pose no harm to health, and that they are legal.
- I designate a contact person who receives and instructs volunteers.
I KEEP AN EYE CONSTANTLY ON VOLUNTEER ACTIVITY AND AM PREPARED FOR CHANGES TO ENSURE THAT COOPERATION IS SMOOTHER
- I notify volunteers regarding important facts pertaining to their activities.
- I include volunteers in making decisions pertaining to them.
- I give volunteers feedback and ask them for feedback as well.
AFTER RECRUITING VOLUNTEERS
I RECOGNIZE THE CONTRIBUTION OF VOLUNTEERS
- I offer them a letter of recommendation or a volunteer passport.
- I hold an event to acknowledge volunteers.
I ANALYSE MY EXPERIENCE IN ORGANIZING VOLUNTEERING
- I analyse the successes and shortcomings.
- I compare what I have achieved with the plans and analyse to what extent and why the desired results were reached.
I ENCOURAGE BROADER DISSEMINATION OF THE EXPERIENCE GAINED FROM VOLUNTEERING AND THE VALUE GENERATED
- I cover volunteer contributions in the local or nationwide media, e.g. by writing an article.
- I mention the volunteers’ contribution in project reports.
- I highlight volunteer contributions in annual reports.
- I take part in discussions, studies, surveys related to development of volunteer activity and elsewhere.