BEFORE STARTING VOLUNTEERING
I KNOW MY EXPECTATIONS
- I look for information and read about volunteering.
- I think about why I want to volunteer and what I want to accomplish.
- I have thought about how volunteering fits in with my way of life.
- I think about what conditions I would like to work in and what I want to get out of volunteering.
I CONSIDER MY SKILLS AND POSSIBILITIES FOR VOLUNTEERING
- I think about what activities are within my abilities based on my skills and experiences and yet offer me development opportunities.
- I draw up a plan: where, when and how much time I can devote to volunteering.
- I discuss my plans with my loved ones.
I USE VARIOUS OPPORTUNITIES FOR FINDING A SUITABLE VOLUNTEER ACTIVITY
- I look for volunteering postings on different sites.
- I ask friends and acquaintances for recommendations.
DURING THE VOLUNTEER ACTIVITY
I FULFIL MY DUTIES DILIGENTLY AND ACCORDING TO MY ABILITIES
- I don’t show up late or leave my work unfinished.
- I will refuse to fulfil a duty if it poses a risk to my own life and health or that of others or if instructions are not lawful.
- I take part in trainings that support my activity as a volunteer.
I TAKE INTO ACCOUNT OTHER TEAM MEMBERS
- I familiarize myself with the NGO’s values, customs and rules and respect them.
- I listen to other volunteers’ experiences and share my own.
I NOTIFY THE NGO’s REPRESENTATVE ABOUT KEY ASPECTS PERTAINING TO MY ACTIVITIES
- I inform the NGO about my wishes and possibilities.
- I contribute input in decisions that affect my work.
- I make suggestions for better organizing volunteer activity.
- I provide immediate notice about obstacles encountered or if I intend to quit volunteering.
WHEN ENDING VOLUNTEER ACTIVITY
I FORWARD INFORMATION ABOUT MY WORK TO THE NGO REPRESENTATIVE AND/OR OTHER VOLUNTEERS
- I let them know how much progress I made compared to the plans.
- I make suggestions as to how volunteer work can be organized better in future.
I SHARE MY EXPERIENCES WITH THE NGO AND OTHER VOLUNTEERS.
- I take part in an NGO event where I talk about my activity, experiences and lessons learnt.
- I write a story that the NGO can post on their website, printed matter and lists.
- I share with the NGO photos I took during my activity as a volunteer.
IF THE OPPORTUNITY PRESENTS ITSELF AND I AM WILLING, I GET READY FOR NEW ACTIVITIES.
- I share impressions with friends and acquaintances and hear their opinions and recommendations.
- I start over from the beginning.